[Rhodes22-list] Electric Motor

jose jose.faraldo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 03:42:07 EDT 2020

Hi David,

No regrets so far. It's been really good - completely dependable, in all
(reasonable) conditions, and has required barely any maintenance. We haven't
had to service or repair it yet, so I can't comment on parts availability.

At the time we got the motor the single 48V battery wasn't for sale - so
what we have is two 24V batteries (I believe the current model is 24-3500).
Initially we had the batteries under the cockpit seats - one on each side.
They weren't easy to shift around, so a lot of debris would tend to
accumulate all around. I also wondered if all that off-center weight was
really OK. Anyway, we now have the batteries inside the cabin - one at
either side of the foot of the step (see picture attached), so they're
mostly out of sight. If I had the singe 48V battery I'd place it under the
step too. The chargers are mounted in the galley, under the counter (see
picture), so all the cabling runs along the back of the galley and the very
back of the cabin, also out of sight.

The only thing I miss from the Yamaha set up is the tiller-motor linkage.
But I think it's a solvable problem. Also, it seems that Torqueedo now has
gear for controllers for solar charging - I think that'd be worth exploring
too.

Best regards

Jose

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t665/batteries.jpg>