[Rhodes22-list] Electric Motor

David Keyes rhodes22dave at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:09:31 EDT 2020

Shawn, this is very interesting that you find your Torqeedo 3hp motor (advertised today as the Torpedo Travel 1003) to be sufficient in power for getting in and out of a marina.  I like the simplicity, light weight (of motor and of detachable battery) .  It seems so simple to just bring the battery to and from the boat and charge it at home.

I have used for 20 years a Yamaha 9.9 with Stan’s tiller attached controls and steering.  Besides for the power issue, I would really miss being able to have a single point of control and being able to look forward as I turn hard to port into a tricky, narrow slip entrance.  I could solve that in part by locking the engine in straight position and using just the rudder for steering, but being able to turn both the rudder and the motor propeller together helps for the sharp turn that I have to make in tight space (which gets very exciting in higher winds).

David