[Rhodes22-list] mosquito netting for cockpit

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 20:45:58 EDT 2020

I am getting ready for a road trip to a larger lake with a couple of
friends.  I will sleep on the settee and they will sleep in the cockpit.
Last winter I cut some plywood planks to fit between the benches to make a
wide and flat sleeping area.  Since bugs could be a problem, I got a big
piece of mosquito netting.  I anchored out for the first time last night so
I could try things out.  I draped the mosquito netting over the bimini, and
put the entrances where it joins to the cabin and also at the rear of the
boat.  I used nylon clamps to secure the netting to the bimini straps,
around the tiller, and to join with the pop top enclosure, where I left the
entrance rolled up.  This forms a very large bug free area and it worked
out well.  Last night was very calm so it may be necessary to take
additional steps to secure the netting if it is windy.

Before trying this I found some old posts in the archive, but no photos and
more ideas than actual experience.  However, I'm guessing that some of you
may have solved this in similar (and perhaps better) ways.  It doesn't
provide the protection and privacy of a boom room, but for a dry night this
is a cheap and easy solution that pairs nicely with the pop top enclosure.
If there is rain, we'll have a big tarp as well to toss over the boom and
provide rain cover.

Feel free to chime in with your solutions since it's always interesting to
see the creativity of the group.

Netting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KKMZRFK/
Clamps:
https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-16-Piece-Spring-Muslin-Backdrops/dp/B0109K8F3O