[Rhodes22-list] dinghy selection

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:38:14 EST 2020

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this thread.

I'm hesitant to try beaching my R22 in unfamiliar waters.  A lot of the
lakes that I'll be visiting have rocky shores.  I'd rather be cautious and
use a dinghy instead.

I'm planning on going with the inflatable kayak.   I'm leaning towards
getting a tandem kayak and supplementing that with the inflatable paddle
board that I already have in case I need room for 3 people.  Of course, 2
trips to shore could ferry over 3 people.

The advanced elements kayak that Mary Lou used looks quite nice but is more
than I would like to spend.
I'm debating between the Sea Eagle (either the 330 or 370) and the Driftsun
Voyager 2.  The 370 is longer, with a bigger carrying capacity and could
actually carry up to 3 people.  All these models get good reviews.  The Sea
Eagle models are a little heavier and have inflatable seats, where the
Voyager has solid seats.  The "deluxe seats" on the Sea Eagle sit a bit
higher which might be more comfortable.

The Driftsun is shorter and fairly flat so I may be able to store that
upside down on the foredeck and cabintop if I wanted to leave it inflated
and didn't want to tow it from the R22, though towing with a bridle attached
to the two U bolts on the stern would probably be simplest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JHDN9M/
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JHDN9M/>
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-Person-Inflatable-Sport/dp/B000SL0A6A/
<https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-Person-Inflatable-Sport/dp/B000SL0A6A/>
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-SE370-Inflatable-Package/dp/B001ASRVDK/
<https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-SE370-Inflatable-Package/dp/B001ASRVDK/>

I haven't made a decision yet, but I'll be sure to report back on whatever I
get once I use it this summer.  Any other words of wisdom are welcome.
Thanks!