[Rhodes22-list] Another new GB 22 Owner

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Mar 3 12:26:15 EST 2020

Brian,

I’ve never weighed the boat and trailer separately.  However, with a full water tank (15 gal), full fuel tank (6 gal), full 6 lb LPG tank, empty porta potti, mainsail, 150% genoa, triradial spinnaker, cruising spinnaker, spinnaker pole & whisker pole and rigging, cabin cushions, cockpit cushions, homemade Bimini/Boom room and pop top canvas, full ice chest, 3 anchors, chain, and rode, dock lines, and other gear for a 4 day cruise the boat and trailer weighed 3350 lbs.  I have a Lil Dude tandem axle steel trailer.  My trailer registration lists the weight at 445 lbs, although I’ve never actually weighed just the trailer.  So, that would make the boat’s rigged cruising weight ~2905 lbs.  Newer Rhodes 22’s are considerably heavier.

My railings and stern pulpit are homemade from schedule 40 3/4” 316L stainless pipe, mandrel bent and MIG welded back in 1988.  The stanchion bases and backing plates were milled from solid 316 SS billet as part of the same project.  My trailering mast carrier, tabernacle mid mast support, and mast stepping systems were custom built to work with my stern pulpit.  My family considered me completely out of control for some of the boat projects in those days!  It was not the most economic route; but, I just enjoy working on the boat.  A local boat rigger might be able to build you a new stern pulpit for less than the factory model.  You might also consider driving down to the factory and picking the OEM stern pulpit up yourself.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone