[Rhodes22-list] Wood flooring

Curtis Ruck ruckc at yahoo.com
Fri May 15 16:19:00 EDT 2020

I know my flooring is shaky... but i'm not gutting my interior yet.  just
want a bandaid over the bilge for a while, hopefully a few years.  My boat
was a $3000 w/ trailer special, and da list said i probably overpaid.

I don't keep carpet or anything over the floor, and when i sail, i normally
have the bilge open to keep an eye on the water level.

So far i've checked the centerboard cap, the 3 through hull fittings
(knotmeter, depth gauge, and cockpit drain), and i can't find any water
coming through any of them.

My task this summer is to find the leak.  My first step is going to be to
strip the 3-4 layers of flaking antifouling paint off the gel coat to
inspect the exterior.  There could probably be a cannonball hole through my
hull and i couldn't see it due to the antifouling's myriad of colors.

One of the previous owners had liberally coated the bilge with epoxy, and
that epoxy has cracked with what appears to be loose concrete pieces... so
i plan on inspecting exterior first, before going to a cabin gutting,
because if I end up gutting the cabin, i will just stay gutted since i
don't use it.

>From what I can tell about the compression post, is it's stable.  The deck
hasn't deformed any, and the deck is extremely solid.  In my inspection
this year, i've only found one soft spot on the cockpit floor, about the
size of a coffee can.  I just replaced my forecabin vent, while enlarging
it some, and the wood there was in perfect condition.

One of my biggest problems with water has always been the cockpit drains
clogging, and water overflowing the stern locker.  So once i get a 3d
printer i'm going to print baskets to sit over them.

--
Curtis