[Rhodes22-list] Wood flooring

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri May 15 15:17:43 EDT 2020

First make sure that the stringers are still sound. Also check under the compression post to make sure whatever you have there (it varies between boars) is sound. Mine wasn't of course. I had to replace everything in my boat. I used epoxy coated deck boards for the inside stringers and used angel aluminum attached to the outside stringers.

For the floor I used GBS (good both sides) exterior grade plywood that I coated with 2+ coats of epoxy followed by exterior grade floor paint. I then covered the top with vinyl sheet flooring that was attached to each panel with contact cement. Makes a good soft non-skid and easily  cleaned surface. I also enlarged the removable panels to increase access to the bilge. I should have made them bigger.

I attached the panels to the wooden stringers using screws and finishing washers and attached the floor boards to the aluminum angel strips using bolts and aluminum inserts .

I have attached a few photos.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario