[Rhodes22-list] Shroud extenders

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon May 18 12:03:33 EDT 2020

Jose,

No, leave the aft lower sidestays connected and adjusted as they would be for sailing.  Likewise, the upper sidestays should be left connected and adjusted as they would be for sailing.  Of course the forward lower sidestays need to be loosened, or you won’t be able to attach them to their chain plates.  That’s one of the nice features of GBI’s mast raising system.  All the stays except the forestay and the forward lower sidestays stay connected and adjusted.  Once the mast is up and forestay connected, the forward lower sidestays will connect easily to their chain plates.  Check the the archives for my rig tuning procedure.  But, if you don’t have a Loo’s Rig Tension gauge and assuming the rest of the rig is properly setup; then, adjust the port and starboard lower sidestays by turning the turnbuckles an equal number of turns until the shroud is as “twangy” as the aft lower sidestays.  Note that you need a small wrench and a tool like an ice pick to adjust the turnbuckles.  Use the wrench to keep the stainless steel wire from turning.  Stick the ice pick into the hole in the turnbuckle barrel to be able to turn it W/O damaging it.  Needless to say, the lock nuts on the turnbuckles need to be backed off before they can be adjusted.  Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone