[Rhodes22-list] bimini support attachments to stern rail

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Fri May 22 17:57:55 EDT 2020

Jesse,

The idea for the bimini support struts came from the list archives somewhere, indicating yet again what a useful resource they can be.

These are not an off-the-shelf item, but they’re pretty easy to put together from easy to find parts.  I’m sure I sourced mine from Defender (defender.com <http://defender.com/>).  To find the right section on the Defender website, choose ‘Deck & Cockpit’ from their main menu, then the sub-category ‘DIY Railing’.

Both my bimini tubing and stern rail tubing were 7/8” diameter.  You’ll want to check yours before you order parts.  Hopefully, they are either 7/8” or 1”.  Below the ‘DIY Railing’ sub-category, there are sub-sub-categories for ‘7/8 inch Rail Fittings’, ‘1 inch Rail Fittings’, and ‘Bimini Hardware Fittings’.  Things are not as well organized as they might be, so you may have to poke around some to find what you’re looking for.

The first item you need is called a ‘Hinged Top Slide’.  These can attach to existing railings without needing to slide on from an end.  For 7/8” tubing, the Defender item # is 756056.  You’ll need 4 of these.

The next item is a ’Top Cap’.  These will attach to the ’Top Slides’ and to the support tubing.  For 7/8” tubing, the Defender item # is 756027.  You’ll also need 4 of these.

Finally, you’ll need some tubing.  This is in the ’S/S Steel Tubing’ sub-sub-category.   The choices here are two diameters (7/8” and 1”), and two wall thicknesses (regular and heavy duty).  7/8” regular is more than sufficient.  When I measured for the length of the support tubing I did it by setting up the bimini with the existing webbing straps, attaching Top Slides and Top Caps where they seemed appropriate, and then taking the measurement.  I ended up with slightly different lengths for port and starboard, but I figured it was safer to use what my ruler was telling me rather than insisting that the boat be symmetrical. They were both about 14”.  Assuming you find something similar, I’m guessing that when you take shipping into account, two 2’ pieces of tubing will be cheaper than one 4’ piece.

Sorry that I can’t attach any pictures, but I haven’t yet put the bimini on the boat this spring.

Best of luck,

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)