[Rhodes22-list] Axle diameter on Triad trailer?

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon May 25 12:08:31 EDT 2020

Olivier,

I have attached three photos from the archives illustrating the location of the board and the Triad trailer. I don't think that the board should be positioned as it is on your photo, even if you pulled too far forward. One image, from Pop Yachts of a boat that was for sale, shows the proper clearance from the board to the axle. The other images, from s/v Raven's trailer, show the location of the V-roller that was originally installed on a Triad to kick up the board when pulling onto the trailer. The board usually sits on the roller during transit unless the pennant line is pulled and cleated in the upmost position.

Triad steel trailers tend to have a problem with rust over time. On two of my trailers, the left and right sides of the trailer were joined by a single piece of steel in front of the kick up roller. When the v-shaped piece rusts through, the sides tend to drift apart a bit, permitting the boat to settle lower in the bunks. This will bring the keel closer to the axle and may be the cause of your board damage. It also would permit the boat to be drawn further forward on the trailer than is normal. Please take a good look at the piece that connects the left and right sides together.

I have good luck welding additional steel at the weak spot. Do not permit the welder to repair the trailer while the boat is on the trailer. Please do not ask how I know this.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY