[Rhodes22-list] opinions on (horizontal) full batten mainsail

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon May 25 19:34:11 EDT 2020

Steve,

Maybe a small amount; but, it would mostly waste the potential of going to a full batten mainsail.  You would spend a lot of money for very little gain.

When I lived in Arkansas, I used to race S/V Dynamic Equilibrium under the PHRF rule.   At the time, the USYRU PHRF Handicap rule book listed handicaps for Rhodes 22’s in the range of 258-312 sec/mile.  Since I had a conventional rig, they initially assigned me a rating of 258 sec/mile.  With that rating, I could consistently beat the fleet on corrected time.  Since I was winning so much, they reduced my rating to the same as the J-22’s, 186 sec/mile.  In light air, I was pretty evenly matched with the J-22’s.  But, in anything above about 15 knots of winds, the deep draft fixed keel J-22’s would consistently beat me by 3-5 boat lengths over a 6 mile triangular course unless they screwed up a tack or a gibe.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium