[Rhodes22-list] opinions on (horizontal) full batten mainsail

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Mon May 25 21:43:56 EDT 2020

Roger, it sounds like you have sailed a Rhodes 22 as fast as it will go!

I do some racing at the local club on Lasers, Snipes, and match racing on a
Santana 20.  I'm still a fairly new sailor (started in 2018), so I have a
lot to learn.

They are talking about holding a separate start for keelboats of all types.
In my Rhodes 22 (mine is has IMF and a 130 headsail, but no spinnaker), I'll
be up against some Catalina Capris and a Santana 20 that have spinnakers as
well as a Hunter 23 and perhaps a Precision 21 among others.

At our club they use Portsmouth D-PN instead of PHRF.  One of our club
members belongs to US Sailing and the only data he could find for the R22
was the following DPN values.  I don't know if those are based on a
conventional mainsail vs. IMF, and I don't know if that was including or
excluding the use of a spinnaker.

/Under “Offshore Classes” the “Pre-calculated D-PN Handicaps” for the Rhodes
22 (&Continental) are:
DPN: 100.20
DPN1: 101.20
DPN2: 100.60
DPN3: 99.80
DPN4: no data/

We sail on an inland lake rather than offshore as the note above references,
so I'm not sure if that would have an impact on ratings.

Has anyone else used these or other Portsmouth DPN values for a Rhodes with
an IMF and no Spinnaker?

My crew and I will have collective experience of several years, while the
fastest boat will likely be a fairly new Capri 22 co-owned by 3 experienced
sailors with over 60 years collective experience.  Two of those guys were
instructors that taught a couple of the sailing classes that I have taken.
If nothing else, I can learn a lot by watching them :)

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr