[Rhodes22-list] opinions on (horizontal) full batten mainsail

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue May 26 11:06:18 EDT 2020

Jessie,

I’ve never raced under the Portsmouth handicapping rules and am not familiar with them.  In Arkansas, we could use spinnakers.  Upwind, I lost ground to the J-22’s with their deep fin keels and ¾ bendy rigs.  On the reaching legs, we were fairly evenly matched.  On a run, I could pull up the centerboard, thus reducing my wetted surface area.  When we both popped our spinnakers & I raised our centerboard, I could reel them in like they were anchored!  Often, the J-22’s & I would get into a gybing match with them attempting to keep up by blanketing our sails with their wind shadow.  We were usually able to shake them off after a couple of gybes.  So, our races would usually involve us trying to keep the J-22’s in range on the upwind legs with good strategy, status quo on the reaching legs, and then a drag race come from behind on the downwind legs.  We would come up from astern, aim our wind shadow at the boat ahead to collapse their chute, then gybe away and be gone!  It was great fun & Daniel just loved it.  Part of my problem on the upwind legs was my son Daniel at the helm.  At the time, he was 8 - 9 years old, weighed ~100 lbs, and didn’t have the upper body strength for sail trimming.  Daniel was a natural helmsman and the Rhodes 22 has such a lightweight, balanced helm; that, he could drive for the whole race without getting tired.  So, old dad was the sail trimmer.  But, the Rhodes 22 sails fastest when sailed as level as possible, almost like a big dingy.  Daniel just didn’t have enough meat on his bones to be very effective on the rail.  Before they changed my rating, it really used to piss off the other sailors when Daniel would ride on my shoulders when we stepped up to the podium!  He acted like a typical 8 year old boy.  I had to talk to him about good sportsmanship.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium