[Rhodes22-list] opinions on (horizontal) full batten mainsail

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:28:48 EDT 2020

Roger, thanks for the R22 racing tips!

I was impressed with all the gear on the annotated photo of your bow on the
rhodes22.org website that I stumbled on the other day:
http://rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Roller_Furling.jpg.  My thought was that one
day I'd like to be able to know how to make good use of all of that.

Eventually I may add a whisker pole and perhaps a spinnaker, but first I
need to get a better handle on sail trim with the main and genoa with my
current setup.  I've tried having the crew hold a boat hook as a poor mans
whisker pole when running wing on wing and that helped.   Peter has an
impressive whisker pole setup highlighted on his youtube videos that I may
attempt to replicate at some point.

I know conventional battened mainsail performs better, but I love the
convenience of the IMF so I'll be sticking with that.

I didn't buy the R22 for purposes of racing, but I figured I might as well
try it since our club is starting up mixed class keelboat racing.  Thanks
again for sharing some racing tips for a novice like me.