[Rhodes22-list] Whisker Pole Rigging - Why Horizontal

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Wed May 27 22:56:40 EDT 2020

Roger,

One of the reasons I originally rigged the whisker pole with the inboard end attached to a car on the T-track, was that I read repeatedly that in use, the pole should be set up to be horizontal.  A movable attachment point would always allow you to do that.  I don’t recall ever reading an explanation for why horizontal is the proper orientation for the pole, until now.  But I still don’t get it.  It’s not that I doubt that there’s a valid reason, but the light bulb in my head is still definitely not turned on.

I can see how the position of the outboard end of the pole is important.  It controls the direction that the sheet is pulling the clew of the foresail, which affects the shape of the sail.  But with a topping lift, a fore-guy and and after-guy, the outboard end of the pole can be positioned without regard to the position of the inboard end.  I just can’t grasp why the position of inboard end matters.

I’m also a bit confused by the term ‘downwind sail’.  Which sail is that?

I’m only concerned here with a whisker pole with a jib or genoa.  Spinnakers are not in my wheelhouse.

Thanks for any insights you can provide,

—Peter