[Rhodes22-list] Apostle Island Trip

Roger Pihlaja Home Roger_Pihlaja at msn.com
Sun May 31 19:37:44 EDT 2020

Jessie,

The best hiking trails are on Stockton Island, although Sand Island also has some nice  trails.  There are trails on the cliffs above the sea caves at Squaw Bay and Sand Island.  But, you can’t see much of the cave systems from the cliffs.  You won’t be able to use your outboard once you get into the sea caves, too many barely submerged rocks and ledges.  Many sea caves will probably be too narrow for you to use your oars either.  Consider taking canoe paddles.  Choose canoe paddles a couple of inches longer vs. your usual size for canoeing because your dingy sits higher in the water vs. a canoe.  The crystal clear water will take some getting used to.  Rocks that look like you are about to hit them will actually be 10 ft underwater!

On this trip, I was using a new high tech water purifying device called a Steripen.  This handheld, battery powered, device emits a timed burst of UV radiation that kills all pathogens in a 1 liter water bottle in less than a minute.  Since the UV source is dangerous to look at directly, the Steripen has a built-in safety feature that won’t allow the light to come on unless a conductivity sensor detects that the source is immersed.  The 1st time I tried to purify some Lake Superior water, it wouldn’t turn on.  But, when I immersed the Steripen in a water bottle full of water from home, it worked fine.  It turned out, the Lake Superior water was so pure; that, the conductivity was too low to satisfy the conductivity sensor.  For the rest of the trip, I solved the problem by adding a few crystals of table salt to each water bottle prior to sterilization.  Imagine, billions of gallons of water pure to essentially deionized water standard.  Lake Superior is a remarkable resource, unique in the world!

Have fun!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPad