[Rhodes22-list] removing tabernacle

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 16:54:26 EST 2020

Regardless of your disposition, there's one victory we can all celebrate
today: my struggle against the adhesive (presumably 5200) securing the
tabernacle has been overcome without any damage.  I applied plenty
of Marine Formula DeBond, waited patiently and then made iterative use of a
combination of knives, a wood wedge, and gentle taps with a rubber mallet.
I would scrape out adhesive around the edges, spray more DeBond, go do
something else for a few minutes (I've got several other boat projects
underway), tap the wedges/knives in a bit further and repeat the process.
After about 45 minutes, I heard a gentle pop as the adhesive released.
This was followed by another popping sound as I opened a frosty beverage to
celebrate.  I still have to remove the thin layer of remaining adhesive
residue but at least the tabernacle is free from the cabin top.  I really
appreciate all the helpful advice.  Thanks!

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr