[Rhodes22-list] 175 vs 130 Genoa

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Nov 24 11:02:59 EST 2020

We did use it wing on wing a few times. I will say the boat was probably
faster on a very broad reach with all sail than downwind wing on wing
but in a nice steady breeze it was fun and not at all squirelly. The
photos are from the first time we tried it and we tried it both with the
one whisker pole and with no pole and didn't really see much difference.
We used a ring at the base of the mast to attach the pole. We had a bit
of track to mount a moveable ring on the mast to get a better angle but
we never did it.

As far as pad eye placement the 4" gave plenty of room for the
mini-furler and it didn't interfere {much} with the 175 sheets.

I really loved that sail. It was a bit of hassle to rig and take down
but it was so much fun and so forgiving. The only time we ever had an
issue was one time on a run down the bay. We had the sail poled out and
didn't really notice the wind rising until it seemed somewhat dangerous
for me to go forward to take it down. We solved that by blanketing it
with the main. Once I got the pole unclipped the sail was easy to handle
because it was so lightweight.

I think there were about 5 or 6 of us that were in on the initial group
talking to Doyle about the sail. I'm not sure how many ultimately bought
one.

Mary Lou
ex Rhodes 22
now Rosborough RF-246