[Rhodes22-list] using a tablet for navigation

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sat Oct 10 14:22:52 EDT 2020

Tom:

I played around with Navionics, SailFreeGps, Wavve and iBoating. Which is best depends on how you use it. Navionics is clearly the most powerful and complete but it is also the most expensive. In my case I am only sailing in familiar and hazard free waters and want a program that is easy to use and inexpensive. I don't have a need for a chart plotter so much as I just enjoy playing with it. The fact that I can't see the screen under most daytime lighting unless I go below makes it all less attractive.

In my case I think I will go for either SailFreeGPS (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frederic.sailfreegps&hl=en_CA&gl=US ) or Wavve (https://wavveboating.com/ ). Wave is just about perfect for me except that for some strange reason it does not show boat speed until you are going more than 5 knots - which for me is more than I go most of the time. What it does have is depth readings that you can set for the draft of your boat so that you will get a warning should you wander into shallow water. It costs only $20 per year. SailFreeGPS is not entirely free but at $10/per year for the paid version is pretty good. It is surprisingly capable and has some unique features such as a man overboard feature the impresses me. Some of it is very technical for me. It has a great screen that tracks course, direction and speed.

However, If you are doing any serious navigating in new locations Navionics seems like the obvious choice and that no doubt is why it is the most popular by far.

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca