[Rhodes22-list] Bluetooth depth finder for Navionics

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Oct 26 22:45:53 EDT 2020

I don’t like making holes either. I have had good results snugging the transducer up against the hull as follows:

  1. Clean area where you will place the transducer thoroughly.
           My favorite location is just ahead of the cockpit drain, out of the way in the lazarette.
  2. While floating, place a bit of water where you would like to locate the transducer.
  3. Insert the transducer into the water, business side to the hull and hold tightly to the hull.
  4. Have assistant power up depth meter and verify proper operation and reading.
           Measure your depth accurately with a boat pole, stick or tape measure.
  5. Turn off meter, snake cable appropriately between meter and selected location.
  6. Remove water added to make good sonar "seal" in step #2.
          Thoroughly dry the transducer location.
  7. Apply a good sized blob of DAP Kwik Seal Kitchen and Bath caulk to the location.
  8. Insert the transducer into the sealant, business side to the hull,
          and press tightly against the hull until caulk sets up.
  9. Test depth meter operation. Reposition transducer if necessary.
  10. Let sealant dry at least 24 hours.

I have found that the DAP Kwik Seal product is easy to work with and sets up in less than 10 minutes. Once it has cured, the sound passes through the hull with little loss. I chose the location just ahead of the cockpit drain because it was easy to access, relatively protected, saw little turbulence and was almost perfectly located, "height wise" at the bottom of the boat. If you need to move the transducer, the sealant can be easily removed from the transducer and the hull without damage.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY