[Rhodes22-list] 3 Horsepower Electric Outboard

Larry Gioia lgioia at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 15:57:33 EDT 2020

Lee,

I have a 3.5hp Mercury 4-stroke on my R22 - it’s fine for the light to medium winds I encounter on Lake George but if you have strong headwinds as Rob mentions, a 6 or more would be very handy.

Years back the Minne-Ha-Ha tour boat on the lake was expanded in length. In a subsequent year they encountered a wind so strong they got blown against the rocks on the southern shoreline and the boiler/steam-reciprocating engines that power the 2 paddlewheels were not strong enough to keep them off the rocks. So the Coast Guard required them to add backup diesels with separate propellers. That was about 15 years ago, I recently asked the engineer how often they’re needed. He said we’ve never used them, we just test them. They have 6-7 1hr trips per day 7 days per week from late May —> late Sep.