[Rhodes22-list] 3 Horsepower Electric Outboard

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Oct 30 14:29:44 EDT 2020

Lee,

There are really two reasons to have an outboard.  One, when the wind dies and you need to get somewhere.  In this case the Torqeedo electric outboard will work (slowly?) until the battery runs down.  I think it lacks sufficient range to be a viable option in this scenario.  Are you willing to carry a gasoline fired generator or more batteries?  Two, when you need to maneuver in close quarters (like in a marina) in situations of opposing wind, current, other boat traffic, etc.  Here, the 3 hp Torqeedo is dangerously underpowered on a Rhodes 22.  So, unless you can be assured of being able to sail all the way back to your marina and then use your Torqeedo to motor into your slip on a windless evening, it seems pretty undersized.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium