[Rhodes22-list] Saildrive Weight Effect On Fore/Aft Trim & Boat Speed

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Sep 1 12:51:40 EDT 2020

Hi All,

When some of you start talking about heavy batteries and then have to add dead weight to balance out the port/starboard trim, I just cringe!  The Rhodes 22 is also sensitive to fore/aft trim.  Adding a lot of weight in the stern is the best way to cause the fore/aft trim to be down by the stern.  Not only does this use up some of the boat’s reserve buoyancy; but, down by the stern trim is SLOW!  The area of the hull aft of the shoal draft keel needs to slope upwards in order to speed the flow of water off the transom W/O turbulence.  Down by the stern trim effectively turns that surface area into a huge trim plate with a massive increase in drag.  The fore/aft trim is best if the boat is level at the gunnel.  In smooth water, the boat is actually slightly faster with a slight down by the bow trim.  But, this is not advisable if there are waves > 1-2 ft because the boat needs the buoyancy in the bow to punch thru waves and ride up over them.  Please rethink where you locate all that weight.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium