[Rhodes22-list] Converting Electric Winch Motor Lift to a Manual System

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Sep 7 21:49:07 EDT 2020

George,

I’m not sure if you’re saying that your think that the GBI manual lift did not have tilt, but after seeing the pictures, that’s the way it looks to me.  It’s hard to be sure though.  Again, maybe someone who knows could comment.

Anyway, inspired by this thread, I’ve spent a couple of days messing around with my manual outboard lift system, and ended up in about the same place that I started.

To go back to the beginning of converting the power outboard lift system to manual
lower blocks get attached to the tube already bolted to the thing the outboard is attached to (the thing that slides)
I attached upper blocks to the existing tubing that the winch strap goes over
Not enough room - more space is needed between upper and lower blocks for outboard to fully raise and tilt
I attached another section of stainless tubing to the forward most parts of the plastic supports for the lift system - just below the horizontal ’shelf’ at the top
I attached upper blocks to the new tubing, attached toward the outer edges to maximize distance from lower blocks
Upper block loop clamps are held in place with bolts into threaded holes in tubing
The original tubing is now in the way, and is removed
After the lifting line is routed through the two lower and two upper double blocks, it goes through a single block just below the ’shelf’, and then a block at the railing
I think I’ll be changing this final routing to just passing the line over the tubing to a cam cleat mounted below the ’shelf’

So in all George, very similar to what you’ve rigged.

I seem to be having technical difficulties, I’ll attempt to send pictures in a following email.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016}