[Rhodes22-list] Converting Electric Winch Motor Lift to a Manual System

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:24:07 EDT 2020

Hi Stan,

I’ve got a Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot with a 25” shaft. I’m not sure even your
taller manual unit would get it up high enough, though I had no desire to do
what would be involved in switching out the GBI electric lift to the GBI
manual unit on the boat. ? My motor is somewhat difficult to tilt and untilt
using the motor tilt mechanism, hence my effort to have my conversion of
your electric lift system do the tilting for me. I probably would not have
attempted this mod if a previous owner had not done something to the tracks
to cause the winch motor to put a tremendous strain on the transom with it
got to the top of its travel and started to tilt the motor. I actually had a
friend observe the transom from the laz as I raised the motor and he said it
was definitely flexing the transom. I love my Rhodes and I just didn’t want
to damage her.

My conversion actually works pretty well and I’m happy to not hear the awful
noises coming from my transom. It takes a little more pull than I expected,
but that’s what happens when a non engineer designs something.

George Morgan
S/V Knotty Lady 1986/2005/2010