[Rhodes22-list] Converting Electric Winch Motor Lift to a Manual System

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 21:04:36 EDT 2020

Peter,

At long last my boat went in the water today for the first time since last
October. The last couple of months she’s been in my driveway with many
projects large and small. The bigger projects were putting her on blocks off
the trailer for new bottom paint, my conversion to a manual motor lift and
removing the centerboard to paint and replace the line and all the blocks.
An experienced Rhodes friend helped me raise the mast and we motored a short
distance to my sailing club. I was very pleased to see no leaks from the
centerboard cap. The list was so helpful on how to do this.
My friend has a Rhodes with the GBI manual lift and a motor about my HP and
weight. I asked him to lift my motor and compare the pull force required.
Surprisingly, he said it felt about the same. Best of all, I don’t hear the
winch trying to pull itself out of the transom which I’m sure is totally a
problem with my tracks not being aligned correctly because of something in
my boats past.

George Morgan
Knotty Lady 1886/2005