[Rhodes22-list] Wheel and stern squat

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Fri Sep 11 13:39:01 EDT 2020

Michael,

My boat did not come with a traveler, although it likely had one in the
past. I did buy a new traveler from Stan but I probably won't install it
until I remove the wheel and pedestal. Since I often stand behind the wheel
on the lazarette hatch when steering, having a line running between the
boom and backstays would be awkward. My head is above the level of the boom
so I'd be ducking frequently.

Currently there is a block-and-tackle for the main sheet which is attached
to a short line that terminates on the cockpit sole just forward of the
wheel pedestal. I have to reach around the wheel to adjust the main sheet.
There's actually a Lewmar rope clutch mounted to the top of the wheel
pedestal that may have been for the main sheet at some point but it doesn't
work with the current rigging.

Mark

Boston, MA

2000 R22 *Luna Mia*