[Rhodes22-list] Newbie question 2

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:39:14 EDT 2020

What lines are you struggling.   This is what works for me, mostly alone.

My main sheet length is adequate with the boom in the upper position running
downwind.   The excess is coiled and tied to the pushpit with the boom in
the lower position beating.   I find myself adjusting if I adjust boom
height.    Sufficient main to run leaves a few feet clumped over the
lazarette hatch beating, but not enough to feel dangerous.    I generally
keep it laying on my knee for a quick release, while in the captain's chair.

The lazy jib sheet is in the coaming compartment.   The other is cross
cleated, and also extends to my knee or in my hand.    If the tack is long I
tuck the excess in the coaming compartment.    On long Lake Erie tacks I
found myself not bothering to cross cleat.

The boom lift is cleated, coiled and tucked around itself hanging off the
side of the cabin.

The jib furling line does the same thing on the opposite side.

The outhaul and inhaul have cleats on the boom.

My motor mount has the block and tackle system, that line is also coiled and
looped over itself on the pushpit.

Regarding the jib post, I find a smaller jib is versatile and adequate.   I
never tried the 170 but downsized from a custom jib (est 150%) the PO used
to Stan's 140% size when wear forced replacement.   I tend to canoe or
single hand a 2 man dinghy when the wind is extremely light, so I don't miss
the extra sail area.

Convenience is one of this boat's superpowers.    In good (10 knot steady)
wind you can drop the motor and start it on your final sailing approach to
the marina inlet.    Uncleat the jib furling line.   Disconnect excess
outhaul from the horn cleats and let it hang from the boom.   If on a
starboard tack, do a penalty turn.    Head up, let the backfilled jib will
pull the bow around smartly, tack as normal.    As the main reaches the
starboard side upwind release the outhaul from the boom end cleat and furl
the main.   The rudder remains hard over and the boat continues to fall off.
Use momentum and the jib to finish the circle.   Furl the jib.    Put the
motor in gear.    The Rhodes can have everything neatly furled by the time
the turn is complete and never lose its place in line for a busy marina.
Somebody needs to video themselves from a chase boat for Stan's website.

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark