[Rhodes22-list] Estimated Cost Of A Harken Traveler System

ROGER PIHLAJA Roger_Pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Apr 3 13:25:07 EDT 2021

Thomas,

I’ve done it both ways and I like it better with the long splice.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 3, 2021, at 10:21 AM, THOMAS POLISE <tvpolise at aol.com> wrote:

Are the mainsheet lines spliced together for a single loop?

On Apr 3, 2021, at 9:44 AM, ROGER PIHLAJA <Roger_Pihlaja at msn.com> wrote:

Hi Tom,

What if you did a long splice on the traveler control lines?  Then, you’d have a continuous loop that wouldn’t make a mess in the cockpit.

By the way, besides the GP 29 Traveler, S/V Dynamic Equilibrium also has a Harken 2-Speed Mainsheet System.  The attached .pdf file is a page from the Harken catalog illustrating the system.  Grab both lines and the mechanical advantage on the mainsheet tackle is 3:1 for quick response &/or light air.  Grab either line and the ratio is 6:1 for heavy air &/or fine trimming.  A long splice on the mainsheet enables the line to pass thru the blocks and minimizes mainsheet tangles/clutter in the cockpit.  I’ve used this system for ~15 years and its been quick, versatile, and bullet proof.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium