[Rhodes22-list] Engine Cut Off Switch - New regulations as of April 1, 2021

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Apr 8 11:04:55 EDT 2021

I just came across some important information regarding boating safety and
the use of an ECOS (Engine Cut Off Switch).

   "Effective April 1, 2021, the new law requires a vessel operator to use

    either a helm or outboard lanyard or wireless ECOS on certain vessels

    less than 26 feet when traveling on plane or above displacement speed.

    These vessels include (1) boats that have a functioning engine cutoff

    device installed at the helm or on an outboard engine or have wireless

    ECOS, or (2) boats manufactured beginning January 2020. The Coast

    Guard increased the number of boats required to have ECOS installed

    after this date in an effort to reduce boating accidents and
fatalities."

   "Exceptions to the ECOS requirement include if the main helm of the

    vessel is in an enclosed cabin or the vessel is not operating on plane

    or at displacement speed. Low-speed activities such as fishing or

    docking do not require use of an ECOS. The vessel operator is also

    exempt if the boat's motor produces less than 115 lbs. of static thrust

    - or about the size of a 2-hp engine."

The new regs require that if your boat was manufactured in 2020 or later
(does recycling count?), the boat/engine must be equipped with an ECOS and
the LANYARD MUST BE ATTACHED TO THE OPERATOR. This is a safety device in
case the operator is thrown from the craft to immediately stop the motor and
prevent prop injuries to the person(s) in the water. It makes sense from a
safety perspective.

Furthermore, according to the USCG (even if not required by date of
manufacture), "If an engine cut-off switch is present, it must be used."

For details, check out:

https://www.boatus.com/news-room/release/new-boat-engine-cutoff-switch-law-g
oes-into-e

or

https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-switch-faq.php

The new rule started this month. Failure to obey the terms of the rule may
result in a civil penalty of $100.

My 2005 6 HP Yamaha has such a device. I need to engage the ECOS lanyard to
operate the engine. It is generally looped around the throttle when
underway. I mainly considered it a theft deterrent, like a key for an
ignition switch. It is kept in the locked cabin when we are not on the boat.
I do not attach the lanyard to me. As such, it would do little to minimize
risk in a situation in which I was thrown from the boat.

So, a review of the facts is as follows:

1.	Rhodes 22 - all manufactured before 2020 - no ECOS required.
2.	Rhodes 22 w/outboard maximum speed is 4 to 5 kts, less than 6 kt
displacement speed - no ECOS required. (hull speed or displacement speed
calculator for LWL=20',
https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/hull-speed-calcula
tor.php)
3.	2005 6HP Yamaha - If an engine cut-off switch is present, it must be
used.

Resolution:

I will attach the lanyard as often as possible when operating the engine,
especially while at maximum speed. If I need to go forward while under
power, I will designate an alternate helmsman who will attach the lanyard.
If I am single handling, I will engage my autopilot tiller control and
attach the lanyard to it.

Mike

s/v Wind Lass ('91)

Nissequogue River, NY