[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Extension Replacement

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Wed Apr 21 16:58:40 EDT 2021

While hauling out last fall, the square extension on the trailer bent
severely (kinked, really) due to the weight of the boat on the extension.
The boat was a little more forward on the trailer than it had been for the
previous 3 haul-outs; the bow was in contact with the stopper. On the
previous haul-outs, the bow was about 3" short of the stopper. This
additional weight forward combined with severe rust on the interior of the
extension and the change in incline of the ramp seem to have combined to
cause the failure.

The extension that came with my used trailer is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1/8" thick
steel. The coupler is marked "Class 2". Does this seem right? It would seem
to me that Class 3 would be more appropriate for the Rhodes, no?

So I need to replace this extension and coupler. I'm thinking that I'm going
to upgrade to 3/16" thick steel. But I can't seem to locate a suitable class
3 coupler. It seems the class 3 couplers require a 3" extension bar (rather
than the 2 1/2" extension that fits the trailer).

I'm interested to hear what the community thinks about this.

Thanks,
Chris

-----
Long Beach Island