[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Extension Replacement

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Wed Apr 21 18:07:34 EDT 2021

Chris,

My homemade tongue extension uses 2-1/2” X 2-1/2” X 3/16” thick square cold rolled C-steel tubing.  I have a short stub of 3” X 3” X 3/16” thick square tubing welded onto the end to provide a mounting point for the trailer coupling.  The 3” square tubing with a 3/16” wall thickness will slip fit over the 2-1/2” square tubing.  You will be able to do a very strong overlapping weld joint.  I built mine like this in 1989 and have dozens of launch and retrievals on the system with zero issues.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
Sent from my iPhone