[Rhodes22-list] Help with lowering the jib on a CDI furler

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Fri Aug 20 22:06:06 EDT 2021

Hi All,

It looks like Henri is headed for Long Island Sound instead of Cape Cod and
eastern MA. So while I've decided not to haul out my R22, I would like to
strike the jib. It looks like the furler on our boats is typically a CDI
FF2 Furler, correct?

I found a manual for that furler on the CDI website (click here
<https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57a94d9febbd1a5a5122da58/t/57ed7dc0e58c6251287394fb/1475182022727/FF2+manual.pdf>
if
interested). It looks like I need to attach a messenger line to the halyard
that's tied to the furler drum. Can anyone tell me if I can simply tie a
knot to attach the messenger to the halyard? That is, can I lower the jib
sufficiently without that knot going through the block at the top of the
furler?

Thanks for any help you can provide on short notice. I'm headed out to the
boat tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Mark

Boston, MA