[Rhodes22-list] Swing Keel Problem

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Aug 23 10:49:54 EDT 2021

Hi Steven,

With boat in its slip and the centerboard lowered, put on your snorkeling gear and inspect:

1. Check that the centerboard pennant isn’t jammed up in between the board and the side of the well.

2. Check that there isn’t a big glob of sticky Mississippi mud stuck up in the well and jamming smooth movement.

3. While the centerboard is down, check for radial and side-to-side play in the pivot.  My pivot had to be replaced several years ago.  In my case, the worn pivot didn’t jam the centerboard.  Rather, it just caused the board to “clunk” against the sides of the centerboard well.  But, if the wear was severe enough, it could cause the centerboard to jam.  But, this would be a progressive degradation, not sudden as in your case.

4. You might also have a broken block on the centerboard pennant.  But, this should also be detectable from beneath the boat with the centerboard lowered.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone