[Rhodes22-list] Swing Keel Problem

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Aug 24 07:25:03 EDT 2021

Jeff,

Close hauled, I would think the extra foot of draft increases the effective aspect ratio of the keel, which makes it a more efficient hydrofoil at generating lift to go to windward.  It also lowers the center of lateral resistance (CLR) to help prevent heeling.  Together, these two factors should overcome the increased drag from the opening in the centerboard well.  Downwind, you don’t need the lift, so closing up the centerboard/well  gap decreases turbulence and drag, which should be faster.  So, in your mind, what is the “correct” position?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium (a 1976 model with a proper high aspect ratio centerboard)