[Rhodes22-list] Outboard motor handling

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Mon Aug 30 15:44:58 EDT 2021

Mark
4 stroke Outboards are heavy.
I’m a pretty big guy and have been able to wrestle the Yamaha 8 AND THE 9.9 (they weight the same)  off and on the motor mount by myself, once the boat is on the trailer, but I can’t do it anymore.
Without a crane or boom of some sort it would be a very big challenge to get it on and off while the boat is floating.
I now have a 2020 Honda extra long shaft (25”) on the boat on an old style manual lift.
You need two people to lift it on and off safely from the ground.
I bought an outboard stand with wheels for $110 bucks somewhere a few years ago.
It helps to move that lug around on land.
The Honda has an even larger Couling than the Yamaha.
I found it interferes with the stern rail when tilted all the way to the 3rd position.
I am not fimiliar with a remote throttle and unless it also had remote shifting - would not find it to be much value.
I need a new stern rail anyway, so I’ll correct that when I rebuild the rail.
It raises the shaft sufficiently out of the water at the 2nd lift notch so for now, I left it alone for this season
The best thing about the Honda is the 12Amp Alternator. Most others have 6Amp.
Ric
Dadventure
’84 Continental
HBNY