[Rhodes22-list] Motor Mount problems

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Aug 30 17:00:02 EDT 2021

To Stan and Rhodies who have had issues with their motor mounts:

My Rhodes 22 was built in 1991. The motor mount slides in a pair of vertical
nylon tracks and uses a set of sheaves within the grey (fiberglass?)
compartment to provide a 6:1 mechanical advantage for lifting. It has always
worked fairly well. I can easily lift the 6HP 4-stroke Yamaha (104 lbs). See
the attached image for details.

Last week, during the rush to haul her out before the no-show Henri (I'm not
complaining), the stern took a hard hit at the end of a finger pier during
the high tide "flood". I may have even hit the outboard on the dock. When I
tied up, I realized that the mount had come out of the vertical tracks. It
appeared as though the horizontal separation had been compressed, permitting
the center portion to come free of the slide.

I tied the engine securely to the stern rail and recovered Wind Lass on to
the trailer. Once I pulled the trailer out of the water, two of us lifted
the engine off the mount and slid the mount back into the tracks from the
bottom, after removing the screw that limits the downward travel. We then
remounted the engine and completed preparations to transport her home for
the hurricane.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. Stan, have you made an
improvement that prevents this from happening? Is the mount safe to use?
Yes, I do have a safety chain.

Mike

s/v Wind Lass ('91)

Nissequogue River, NY