[Rhodes22-list] Electric motor mount vibration

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Aug 31 15:33:13 EDT 2021

Jeff,

Fortunately, the throttle and shifter on my Honda 8hp Extra long shaft outboard are separate.  I’m using a Honda 9.9 hp remote control mounted on the port side gunnel.  The Honda remote control is a single lever shifter + throttle with a separate warm-up throttle lever.  If it’s necessary, I still have to operate the choke at the engine.  In the attached photo, you can see the single engine control lever sticking up above the port side gunnel.  The lever is inside of it’s blue UV protective sock.  Note how the throttle and shifter cables have a spiral bend in them.  This enables them to accommodate the vertical, side to side, and tilting motions of the motor mount and engine itself.  I can only tilt the motor up to the 2nd detent.  But, when the motor mount is fully raised, the 2nd tilt detent allows the lower unit to clear the water unless the port rail is in the water.  i.e. 99+ % of the time.  & remember, I have an extra long shaft engine.

You have to try having the engine remote controls in your left hand and the tiller in your right hand while you stand at the helm station to appreciate how nice this setup is for close quarter’s maneuvering and docking!  Your visibility is great, you have total engine throttle/engine shift/rudder steering control, you can pass dock lines to/from the boat, and you have access to the engine’s tiller if you need to do something fancy with the engine’s thrust.

The GBI motor mount puts the engine cowling at about the normal distance from the transom.  The Honda Engine/Remote Unit works just fine.  It’s hard to believe a Yamaha outboard couldn’t be made to work.  I would get a 2nd opinion.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D79E7D.8281BC40]