[Rhodes22-list] New Rhodes owners in Omaha

Larry Gioia lgioia at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 00:39:37 EST 2021

Dave, Paula,

Congrats on the boat and on joining an incredibly positive, welcoming, & knowledgeable email list. In a world of politics & covid, it’s nice to be part of a community of fun people who share sailing stories, how-to tips, & maintenance projects.
I also have an ‘86 here in Tampa & a ‘14 in upstate NY.  If Peter, Roger, & others on this list looked over my ‘86 they’d quickly have a long list of items that need doing but it sails just fine on a small lake here - someday I’ll get to those items.

Before the 2 Rhodes I also had one of Jopie Helsen’s sailboats - it was a Montego 19. Loved it but no roller-furling jib & no inner-furling main, significant time-savers as  I often only have an hour or 2 to sail. I had lunch with Jopie in St Pete back in 2012 or so - what a great guy. His dad & uncles were wooden-boat builders in the Netherlands (Flying Dutchman I think), but Jopie saw that fiberglass was the future after coming to the US in the 60s, and made it happen.

A pic from last Saturday afternoon on my ‘86 is below, I know we all agree this is what it’s all about.

Larry