[Rhodes22-list] Revisiting Deploying Anchor from Cockpit

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Feb 10 13:58:15 EST 2021

George,

I agree with most of the comments made concerning inadvertent deployment while in rough seas. I sail the LI Sound which can get a bit nasty at times. The last thing that I want is to be sailing and have the anchor drop unexpectedly.

I have looked at installing an anchor windlass. I usually drop the subject when my wife realizes what it costs.

Lewmar has a "low cost" device that I have been looking at, the Pro-Fish 700 Horizontal Windlass. It handles 1/2" line and has 700 lb. pull, more than adequate I would think. Defender sells it for $807.60:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=lewmar-pro-fish-700-horizontal-windlass-kit&path=-1|2276108|2276145|2276146&id=1599799

Manufacturer specs: https://www.lewmar.com/node/11669
Installation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K79s6BJfT30

For a Rhodes 22, we need to install an anchor bow roller, adding another $100 or so. The question is, "Is the anchor rode storage tray and deck port access sufficient?"

For under $200 Defender has a Camco Trac Outdoors Pontoon 35-G3 electric anchor winch:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=camco-trac-outdoors-pontoon-35-g3-electric-anchor-winch&path=-1|2276108|2276145|2276146&id=7079557

Overton's has it for $153:
https://www.overtons.com/trac-gen-3-pontoon-35-anchor-winch-322876.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI76GSov7f7gIVUPvICh1kRQb3EAQYASABEgLKvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The self-contained winch includes 100' of 0.20" double braided line. The product includes the bow roller.

Manufacturer specs: http://www.camco.net/anchor-winches-accessories/anchor-winch-pontoon-35-g3-69003

I don't know if any of these will work well on a Rhodes 22. I'm just trying to figure out what I will spend the next stimulus check on.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)