[Rhodes22-list] What is the purpose of the ledge outside of the companionway?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Feb 26 17:34:39 EST 2021

Michael,

On S/V Dynamic Equilibrium, we have a 4” cleat mounted on the cockpit bulkhead under the cam cleat for the centerboard pennant.  A 4” cleat provides enough space under the horns to wind up the excess pennant.  It’s out of the way, can’t get tangled, is quickly accessible, doesn’t block the companionway, and doesn’t come loose in a rough sea.

You can stow the table leg up forward in the bins around the V-berths.  It will be secure; but, not very handy.  On S/V Dynamic Equilibrium we use a pair of Beckson Marine Holding Clips, size 1” mounted on the stern cockpit bulkhead.  Note, we also use Beckson Marine Holding Clips on the stern cockpit bulkhead to stow the boat hook.  This keeps the boat hook and table leg secure, but out of the way, and yet still readily accessible.  Attached is a page from West Marine.  Note these Holding Clips come in 8 different sizes.  You should get familiar with them.  They are useful for a variety of storage issues all over the boat.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

[cid:image003.png at 01D70C65.A78D8960]