[Rhodes22-list] Racing Fleet | Sunapee NH

C. Robert Lester C.Robert.Lester at dartmouth.edu
Thu Jul 22 11:15:07 EDT 2021

I see others on this list are racing their R22.

We're currently racing our '84 R22 (Orion) in DIV II with LSCF (Lake Sunapee Cruising Fleet).

Last nights race proved to be an important learning experience that makes me ask some questions.

Has anyone sailed in 12-15 MPH winds on a gusty, fresh water lake?
If so, I would love to talk more.

Last night we found ourselves on a port tack, colliding with land on bow, pier on stbd, as we were unable to jive, tack or even motor away from land in time.
Furled the Genoa before collision.
Unable to furl the IMF main.
12-15 MPH wind put the boom at a broad reach, to where we COULD NOT un cleat and furl the IMF main.
My 1st mate jumped onto the pier to reach the boom cleat as the only option.
(NOTE: the pier was under construction and there was NO DECKING).

Raised centerboard and motored out of the situation and back to the slip.

Damaged:
Fiberglass, where bow collided with rocks.
Stbd Side, scuffs from dock collision.
Skippers (pride).

Question:
Has anyone rigged their main halyard as such that it can be easily operated from the center of the boat, as in the furling line for the headsail?

Happy Sailing everyone!
Be safe,

Bob