[Rhodes22-list] Pintle Screw size and availability

Joe Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Mon Jun 14 14:29:02 EDT 2021

Matt,
I just "re-built" my rudder this past off season. The bolt that you are
talking about is shorter than the remaining bolts. They are all the same
diameter, I think 3/8". There should be one on the opposite side.  Remove it
and measure for length. These two are shorter so they don't interfere with
hauling up the rudder and they do not have lock nuts like all of the others.
Be sure to replace with 316 Stainless steel. You can get them from Fastenal
or McMaster and Carr. If you're close to a West Marine, they can probably
match what you need, but be sure it's either 304 or 316 grade. Take one to
your local hardware store and check for fit in their guage that they have in
the nuts and bolts department so you'll have the correct thread pattern.
Problem is they don't have marine grade hardware and their stainless will
rust out in a year.

In the photos, the inboard (short) screws are removed. Note in the Rudder up
photo the location of the outhaul line, which I had just replaced. That
stainless rod had been dislocated (separate photo) and I had to do a repair
to get it back in place. It's purpose is to provide a smooth surface for the
line to slide on. Note the new Downhaul (red) line in each of the photos.

I've taken the opportunity to attatch two additional photos: "Rudder Down
and not locked" and "Rudder Down and Locked". Note the relative position of
the rudder in the "locked" position. This is attained by using the Rudder
Down Haul line to pull the rudder as far down and forward as it will go and
using the hand wheel to tighten the line to keep the rudder in place. This
will take enormous pressure off of the strong weather helm.   It took me
nearly four years to learn this when Stan answered the exact question you
initially asked. I had reinstalled a long bolt where the two short ones
should have gone that did not allow the rudder to extend much beyond the
horizontal.

Hope this helps.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Rudder_Down_Position.jpg>

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/t752/Rudder_Up_1.jpg>