[Rhodes22-list] Question about lowering the mast

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 08:34:56 EDT 2021

Mike and Tom,

Thank you for your responses.

I do have a homemade version of the GBI crane and cradle system. I think my
winch may be different than what Stan used on his. When I’m bringing the
mast up, the winch has a ratchet brake allowing me to stop at any point and
let go of the handle. But when I’m lowering the mast I have to keep pressure
on the handle. If I want to stop the process I must flip a lever on the
winch to lock the handle. Is this how the GBI winch works?

Mike…your technique sounds doable unless I need a free hand to flip the
lever on the winch.

Tom…I might want to rig some way to attach the Genoa to the mast as you
mentioned. How high up the mast is your attachment? Do you have the CDI
furler?

Thanks,
George

-----