[Rhodes22-list] Question about lowering the mast

Mike Riter mike at traildesign.com
Fri Jun 18 23:14:13 EDT 2021

George the GB version uses a friction winch which can be used in either
direction without the ratchet, just turn the handle one way or the other.
It has friction plates inside that work like a clutch. You can let go at
any point and it won't move. That type of winch is kind of expensive, but
worth it for the ease of use.

Roger, I use ties to hold the furler to the mast once it's down, but it's
more than a foot longer than the mast and I have to tail it out with one
hand while raising or lowering or the sharp edges of the GB furler will
just drag across the foredeck.

Michael Riter
SV Emma B