[Rhodes22-list] A Rhodes in the Med, year 3

Frank Goldsmith goldsmith.cf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 08:55:40 EDT 2021

Chris, thanks for sharing those plans with us — what a trip!  You are an intrepid sailor to sail the Ionian sea solo.  It’s a fascinating way to spend the summer, and I am envious.  I’ll look forward to following your progress.

Hearing of your plans to include Turkey in your itinerary, I can’t help but ask this question (born of ignorance, I confess) about your boat’s name.  It is Ένωσις in Greek, right, meaning “union”?  Doesn’t that refer to the political union of Cyprus and Greece, and if so, does the name cause any raised eyebrows when you sail into a Turkish port?  I remember once going up to a stand in Turkey to buy ice cream and mistakenly handing the vendor a drachma in payment (this was before the Euro), and he indignantly slapped the coin down on the counter and pushed it back.  There seemed to be some pretty hard feelings between the Greeks and the Turks, at least back then.

Safe travels,

Frank