[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes Continental Sails

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Mar 1 14:45:07 EST 2021

I bought my first Rhodes 22, an RC - that's what they were called back then (1980) from Stan in Rose's kitchen, after our test sail. I attached 2 pdf files of the sales materials distributed to potential buyers in 1980 at shows, including the price list and a narrative on the Rhodes Continental.

Sheryl and I loved the RC, first seen at the Stamford in the Water Boat Show in the autumn of 1980. Stan had promised a test sail when I gave him the $25 REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT. Unfortunately, he was too busy taking orders at the show so we met him one very cold late October day at the house in Amityville. The wind was howling at a good 15-20 knots and we had a heck of a sail. Stan just sat on the cockpit seat with his back up against the cabin bulkhead facing the stern. He zipped his parka up and smiled as I sailed her hard. He didn't care what I tried because he had faith in the design. We came about and even jibed with all the cloth flying (150 Genoa). I asked him if we needed to reef the main (roller reefing) and he just shrugged, so we didn't. With a crew of 4 twenty somethings and the master, we were invincible. When we finally go back to the canal behind the house, Stan took the helm, showing me how to propel the RC with just the rudder. It was then that I realized, we didn't have an engine on the mount. Who needed a stinking motor?

Stan wanted us to be among the first to try out his IMF design but he was unable to give us a firm delivery date so we took delivery of the RC in March 1981. Stan set it up with us and we sailed for about an hour. He only told me how to retrieve her, no practice attempt. I dropped him at our dock and we went out for more sailing. The two of us were finally able to get on the trailer and dropped the mast in the dark. What a day! What a boat!

In those days, we sailed from March 1st through Thanksgiving, as trailer sailors! Now, we are on a mooring and I am happy to sail May 15th to October 15, but, we do sail a '91 Rhodes 22 w/IMF and lots of creature comforts. One thing hasn’t changed: I still love to sail my Rhodes 22 fully rigged in lots of wind. But, I must confess, I do furl the main and the huge Genoa well before we hit 15-20 kts.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)