[Rhodes22-list] Lifting the Mast off of the Boat

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 05:35:33 EDT 2021

Question for those who might have done this.

I want to take my sails in for cleaning and repair. I’ve never removed my
sails, so this is going to be all new for me. I have the CDI II furler, so
my plan is to lower and remove my 175 genie with the mast up. I then plan to
remove the boom, lower the mast, disconnect the shouds and disconnect the
CDI furler from the mast.
I have no clue how heavy the mast with the furled main is. Can one person
lift the mast with the furled main or will I need help?

My boat is on a mooring. There are some logistical problems with pulling my
boat out of the water....the water depth is too shallow at my club’s ramp.
Would I be crazy to attempt this with the boat tied to my club’s dock or
pulled up on the shore?

Thanks for any advice on how to best accomplish this.

George Morgan
S/V Knotty Lady 1986
Lake Waccamaw NC