[Rhodes22-list] Lifting the Mast off of the Boat

Mike Riter mike at traildesign.com
Tue Mar 16 14:19:21 EDT 2021

George,
I was on a sailing adventure with our R22 in Key West a couple years ago
and had a problem with ripped sail. I made the decision to motor back to
the marina that we had originally launched from and try to repair it myself
before continuing on (we were attempting to sail to Dry Tortuga). Like Joe
mentioned, I pulled into the slip bow forward and retrieved the mast crutch
and GB raising system from the truck. I lowered the mast by myself with no
problems and while I could lift the mast and furler myself, it was too
awkward to maneuver off the boat alone.  My better half guided one end
while I carried it onto the dock. Disassembly, repair and reassembly took
place right there in front of the boat. Thankfully, the repair wasn't that
hard and we were able to get back underway the next morning.

I tied the jib furler to the main and carried both off at the same time.
I'm going to estimate the mast (in mast furler) and jib together weighed
approximately 120- 140#. That's a very general guess. You mentioned you're
taking your furler down separately so that should make the rig weigh a bit
less.

The boat community being what it is, I had no shortage of those willing to
lend a hand at the dock. You should be fine at the dock and not having to
pull your boat out.

Mike
SV Emma B