[Rhodes22-list] Lifting the Mast off of the Boat

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Tue Mar 16 21:17:49 EDT 2021

I drop and raise my mast bundle every year, at my dock, on the water. That
being said, I dock at a well protected marina, little wind and no waves.
If where you dock has similar conditions you should be fine. The first
thing is to see if you can maneuver 26 feet of mast from boat to the dock
where you have 55 feet of space that is level to hold the mast and remove
the furling tube. When working above water, anything dropped is usually
forfeited. Your idea of removing the boom and head sail is a good one,
that extra weight and bulk is not your friend. Think about replacing the
inhaul line while you have it apart. Count the amount of wraps of inhaul
line on the furling tube and note the direction of the wrap. Seek the
proper lubricant for the bearings and coat them well. Now is a good time
to replace lights( anchor, spreader, deck,etc. Check the spreader bushings
and bolt and windvane. I'm sure I forgot a few things, maybe others will
chime in.

Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes '86

George,